Friday, November 21, 2008

CBF=>ATA



There's significantbuzz in our local corner of the bike geekery blogosphere about the recent name change of the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation; it's now the Active Transportation Alliance. Reaction seems to range from the "what a colossally stupid idea," to the "what a colossally stupid idea and if you're not pissed about it you should be." I'm somewhere between these two responses, myself. SFBikeBlog's post covers most of the objections I have (and then some), but I feel more betrayed as a Chicagoan than as a biker. For the record, I don't think I'll be renewing my membership: an organization that treats its members this way is not one that I want to be a part of (though I seem to find myself in more and more such situations). The way that they made this (locally) momentous decision smarts personally, while picking a goofy name that doesn't say anything about what you stand for only offends me intellectually.

But I'm doubly disappointed that they're adopting the nickname "Active Trans." Have they no members in Lakeview? Anyhow, here's the first thing that occurred to me on hearing the term:
The take-home lesson is not to abbreviate to a prefix
(Yes, that is a mixte frame.)

2 comments:

Eric Allix Rogers said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who made that connection. I want it to be a weight loss group for transsexuals!

Jennifer said...

Or, "What a fantastic idea, and if you don't like it then you're just a recreational rider, probably in the suburbs, and we don't want you anyway."

Dude, what the frak is wrong with recreation? I thought this was supposed to be fun.